Particle Formulation Science
Updated May 2022 with a chapter on Capillary Suspensions
Formulating with particles is often more of an art than a science. That has to change. In this short book, the key principles for formulating more successfully are described and the science is linked to apps in these Practical Particles pages, it covers:
- A Few Basics: So we all know what we're talking about
- Controlling Stability: A lot of the standard stuff plus a look at how it often lets us down
- Solubility of Particles: It turns out that if we allow ourselves to use "solubility" language with particles we can make a lot of progress, using powerful but simple ideas like Hansen Solubility Parameters. That's because the idea of "dispersion" is provably confused and unhelpful.
- The Practical Power of SF Theory: This is a solubility-based theory of immense power that has been unknown/unavailable to most of us. It's now been repackaged so formulators can understand and control particle-particle interactions through the right types of polymers with the right solubility characteristics.
- Rheology of Particle Systems: An exploration of some key apps that help us better understand what's making our particle systems (generally) too hard to handle.
- Understanding the Surface: The strengths (few) and limitations (many) behind our attmpts to know how much surface area we have and what's on the surface.
- Formulating in Water: A brief review of our aqueous formulation options - and how to avoid the major pitfalls.
- Simulating Particle Solubility Effects: A look at some of the tools available to simulate particle solubility and gelling effects.
- Capillary Suspensions: What they are and how to make them.
The book is Copyright © 2020 Prof Steven Abbott and is distributed under the Creative Commons BY-ND, Attribution and No-Derivatives license.
Just click to read and download the PDF: Particle Formulation Science.pdf. If you want to download it directly, use right click.
For the iPad version (I've not generated a Kindle version) download: Particle Formulation Science.epub
There is no "registration" or asking for details. The files are just there ready for you to read.
- 1.0.0 19 July 2020.
- Initial release
- 1.0.1 8 May 2022
- Updated with Capillary Suspensions
One of the joys of producing my own book and giving it away is that I can rapidly respond to the reader community. I can quickly fix typos, reword passages that are unclear, improve the layout within a given reader. More importantly, if there is science that is incomplete, wrong or missing I am happy to do my best to fix the problem. I can't do this without your help, so please email me at email@example.com if you want me to make improvements.
Where does the science come from?
My task has been to find the good, useful scientific principles and distill them into words and apps that allow people like me to use the principles in practice. In addition to reading books and many academic papers, I've had the chance to meet and learn from some wonderful experts in particle science and many that I haven't met have most generously helped me via email. In the book I acknowledge those who have helped me directly, and in any app the source of the science is clearly noted. All the credit for the science goes to the experts. All the blame for errors in describing and implementing their science goes to me.